Healthy Chicken Nuggets
5 hrs 40mins
5 nuggets per serving
- 1½ pounds chicken breast, cut into 1.5 by 1-inch nuggets
- 1 6-oz container low-sodium, low-fat, Greek yogurt
- 1 cup all-purpose white flour
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1 cup crushed wheat cornflakes or no-salt added corn chips
- ½ cup lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon dried dill
- ¼ teaspoon dried celery seed
- ¼ teaspoon salt-free garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried lemon peel
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- - Olive oil spray
5 hrs 40mins
- In a plastic container, mix the chicken with yogurt and lemon. Use your hands to rub all the ingredients together so that the chicken is completely covered in the yogurt, lemon marinade. Then cover the container and place it in the fridge overnight, or a minimum of four hours.
- When you're ready to get baking, preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Take the chicken out of the fridge and let it come to room temperature. While it warms up, prepare your breading station. In three separate bowls place the following -- Bowl 1: flour; Bowl 2: whisked egg; Bowl 3: crushed cornflake breadcrumbs mixed with spices (dill to black pepper).
- Place an oven-safe cooling rack on a baking sheet, or if you don't have one, just cover a baking sheet with parchment paper. Then, start breading your chicken by dipping each strip or nugget into the flour, then dredging it in the egg, and finally rolling it in the cornflake crumbs. Place the nugget on the cooling rack and continue with the others until all are breaded. Give all the nuggets a quick spray of olive oil and place it into the oven until brown and crispy, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve warm.
- Calories 145
- Carbohydrates 17 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Protein 13.6 g
- Fat 2.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Sodium 62.3 mg
- Potassium 149.3 mg
- Calcium 36.2 mg
- Phosphorus 120.3 mg